Williamstown NJ Residential Real Estate Properties
Single family Homes, Townhouses and Condos in Williamstown New Jersey in Gloucester County in Southern New Jersey.
Williamstown is a census-designated place (CDP) and unincorporated community located within Monroe Township, in Gloucester County, New Jersey. Before settlement in 1737, Williamstown was inhabited by the Lenni-Lenape tribe of Native Americans, from whom the town derived its original name, "Squankum." The name (Lenape for 'place where evil spirits dwell') was changed to Williamstown when the town's first post office was established, due to postal regulations that prohibited two towns from having the same name and there was an older Squankum located 60 miles northeast. It is generally thought that 'evil spirits' referred to the abundance of mosquitoes in the area, a by-product of the low-lying swamps that characterized the area during that time period. In the early eighteenth century, Richard Penn sold what eventually became Williamstown to his grandson, John Williams, who divided and resold the land in lots to settlers and for whom the town was eventually renamed. The town was officially incorporated as Monroe Township in March 1859, with Williamstown as meeting place to vote and have town discussions. A municipal court was established in the Township of Monroe, in accordance with the provisions of Chapter 264 of the Laws of 1948. The first school was built in 1750 and stood where the Washington Hotel now stands. The local schools operated on a pay-as-you-go basis until the 1850s and were predominantly church-run.
The population of the town remained small until the early 1830s when the glass industry sprung up (Glassboro, a neighboring town, still bears the name borne of that commercial boom). The first company to form was called Free Will Glass Manufacturing and caused a population surge. The industry thrived until the early 1900s when agricultural businesses began to flourish in the face of the waning glass industry. One notable company, The John Sharp Canning Co., still operates today as Blue Ribbon. The Monroe Township Historical Society was formed as a volunteer organization on October 16, 1974, by Mayor John W. Sharp (of the Canning Company Sharps), dedicated to the preservation of items that reflect the history of Monroe Township.
Scotland Run Golf Club is a public golf course located in Williamstown, near U.S. Route 322.
ATTRACTIONS/ POINTS OF INTEREST
* Chrch Street Fields
* Earling E Owens Memorial Park
© 2017 Onjax, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
The data relating to real estate for sale on this website appears in part through the TReND Broker ReciprocitySM program, a voluntary cooperative exchange of property listing data between licensed real estate brokerage firms in which participates, and is provided by TReND through a licensing agreement. Some properties listed with participating firms do not appear on this website at the request of the seller. Some properties which appear for sale on this website may no longer be available because they are under contract, have sold or are no longer being offered for sale. Some real estate firms do not participate in Broker ReciprocitySM and their listings do not appear on this website.